Saturday, March 18, 2017

Weaving

Weaving 































This is my second weaving using the rug knot stitch or at least that is what I think it is called.
I have been weaving for about a year and I have mostly made small pieces.


This weaving is different than most of my pieces because it is bigger than most and it has the special knotted rug piece in the middle. I am not sure I did it correctly but it seemed to work. I was not sure how short to cut the "pile" but when you are weaving/ tying it you need to keep the pieces long. 


The side view of the weaving in progress.



All of my weavings are made on a cardboard loom made from mat board, 4 ply rag to be specific. I frame for a living so the board is mostly scrap. I like the board because it is stronger than cardboard. 





This is the weaving in progress. The first knotted weaving I made had a smaller raised area. I cut the yarn as I went along. For this weaving I waiting until the end to cut them all down. I thought that it would be better since the whole weaving was not completed.



I always finish the back of my weaving very neatly. This is the finished weaving with the clippings from the back. Before cutting, the white pile area was about 1" tall. When it is cut the height is 1/2". It is tricky to cut it evenly. First I used a small scissors but it was much easier to use a larger one. Make sure the scissor is sharp.


I was trying to make a flower but it ended up looking like a cross. Better luck next time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment